select
 
Quick Links
Library History

The Daviess County Library was established as a county library by the voters in the spring of 1947. The residents of Daviess County voted a tax levy of 10 cents per $100 of the assessed value. In 1992, the residents voted an increase to 20 cents per $100 of the assessed value. Currently the tax levy is .1829 cents, due to the Hancock Amendment rollback. Public library districts are supported largely by property tax revenue and in some years, as available, are supplemented by additional state funds.

In September of 1947, services began in the Van Dyke Building on North Main, in Gallatin. The library moved to 215 North Main in August of 1954. In 1996 the library moved to its current location at 306 W. Grand. The library received funds through a grant from the Missouri State Library and LSCA (Library Services and Construction Act) for $263,000, with a 50% match.

In 1952 Pattonsburg Branch was opened, followed by Jamesport Branch in 1955. The Pattonsburg Branch was destroyed by flood in 1993.  The Jamesport Branch continues to operate.

Bookmobile service began in 1948 and was operational until 1982. After the discontinuation of the bookmobile, service was continued through deposit locations, known as "reading racks", which are available in post office lobbies throughout the county and are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Miss Leona Funk was the first librarian followed by Mrs. Ross (Ina) Naylor, Betty Price, Jan Johnson and Allison Spidle, who is currently serving as library director.

 
Main Library
306 West Grand,
Gallatin, MO 64640
660.663.3222
660.663.3250 fax
Jamesport Branch
101 E. Main Street,
Jamesport, MO 64648
660.684.6120

For hours at each library see Locations above.

This web-site is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Missouri State Library, a division of the Office of the Secretary of State.

Powered by Element74