Library Board Meeting

5-23-17

The board met in the back room at the Jamesport branch.

Present: Daren Adkins, Mary Jarboe, Shonna Morrison, Kelvina Hobbs, Gregg Hartley, and Director Allison Spidle.

Daren called the meeting to order.

Allison presented her director’s report. All planned library revenue has been received. The library did receive 3rd and 4th quarter payments for state aid and A and E funds, which was unexpected. The Winston pop-up program has started and is starting slow but people are coming. Allison attended the KC Litfest at Kansas City Public Library. Allison personally delivered Summer Reading Program flyers to all area schools and met with principals. The hotspot has come in and is being used at the pop-up. The Board/Staff social will be at 2-5 p.m. on August 12. Board members will bring potluck type food.

The board examined the bills. Daren suggested that the payment to Proquest for the Ancestry.com program be examined to see how many people are using it. The bill is not due until October. Mary moved to pay the bills with the exception of Proquest, and Shonna seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

The board examined the minutes from the April 27 meeting. The minutes were amended to read “No executive session was held.” Shonna moved to accept the minutes as amended, and Kelvina seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

The Access II evaluation for Jamesport has been completed. Several problems were noted with wheelchair accessibility, but these can be assuaged with the proper signage to indicate that library personnel will bring material to anyone who cannot access it themselves if they are in a wheelchair. The front door can only be made more accessible by removing the weatherstripping, which is not a viable solution. A couple of areas might need slight adjustments, but overall, the evaluation showed nothing unexpected. Board members asked that the shelving be secured to the walls. Allison will follow-up on this.  Allison will also email to Board members the lengthy assessment.

Allison checked about rolling out the ecards with the schools. She will contact Rotary at the end of the summer. Daren requested stats on e-card usage. Allison will follow-up on this.  Allison suggested starting with the basement to change over to LED lighting. She would like to get bids rather than having the existing lighting fixed. She will continue to work on getting the mulch put on, as she has not been able to get hold of Geoffrey Eads. Allison is still working on getting the loose end on the deed for the library tied up. She informed former director and current Friends leader Jan Johnson about the donation box arrangement per April’s board meeting.  The Friends have not yet put a donation box in the garage.  The NASA partnership has gone through and the first shipment of materials has arrived, including a green screen and a tablet.  There is a training in Denver next February which Allison will attend.  The grant will provide an $800 stipend to cover Allison’s travel and hotel costs for the training.  We are awaiting $500 that can be used to supplement the NASA programming. We also received a grant for 1000 eclipse glasses. Another grant from Chipotle has been received. The library received a silver award on the lactation grant and is awaiting reimbursement funds.

Allison would like to schedule a viewing event for the eclipse on the courthouse lawn. She requested that the board approve a credit card to be associated with the library’s accounts and requested approval for access to online banking. This would be in lieu of a debit card and would allow her to view the accounts in real time. The debit card has been cancelled.

Gregg moved that the board approve Director Allison Spidle for a credit card from Farmers Bank to be associated with the library’s accounts and for access to online banking to be able to view Farmers Bank accounts in real time without the ability to transfer funds. Director Spidle will be authorized to use the credit card for online and in-person purchases for the same purposes previously authorized for purchase via debit card. Mary seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

Allison needs training on Quickbooks. Training is available from Quickbooks for $600 but requires an overnight stay, because it is a two-day program. She has also looked into other options. A one-day, basic program is also available through the St. Joseph Chamber of Commerce for only $79.  Allison will take the one-day training in June. One-on-one assistance is available for $100 an hour. Allison is planning to go to the Quickbooks training in St. Joseph and has an accountant also available that will provide additional training on a one-on-one basis as a donation to the library.  The one-on-one training will take place in September.

Allison showed the board some old Daviess County industrial planning books she found in her office and requested approval to purge the items. Daren suggested reaching out to Dan Lockridge of the local industrial planning group and giving the books to them.

Allison presented some suggestions for the Kramer memorial. She suggested the gumball machine for the Jamesport library which will be a continuous revenue stream such as the one at the main library, replacing five Cowboy Sam and similar out of print books for approximately $40 each, and then use the rest of the funds for replacing Nancy Drew books. Daren suggested that she check out this idea with John Kramer first, and then proceed if Kramer approves.

Gregg moved that the board go into executive session as provided in RSMo section 610.021 (3) “Hiring, firing, disciplining or promoting of particular employees by a public governmental body” and Shonna seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

Roll Call Vote
Daren--Yes
Mary--Yes
Kelvina--Yes
Gregg--Yes
Shonna--Yes

The board entered executive session at 5:26 p.m.

Kelvina moved that the board come out of executive session, and Gregg seconded the motion.

Roll Call Vote
Daren--Yes
Mary--Yes
Kelvina--Yes
Gregg--Yes
Shonna--Yes

The board came out of executive session at 6:30 p.m.

Kelvina moved that the library purchase a new commercial vacuum cleaner with funds from the building fund and Shonna seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.  The Board approved Allison reaching out to Tiffany Tadlock for Tiffany to begin cleaning the basement at $15/time after each rental. Tiffany will be paid monthly out of the building fund with checks from that account to be signed by two board members at the monthly board meeting, per regular practice.

The next regular meeting will be held at 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 22, 2017  at the Gallatin library.

Shonna moved that the meeting be adjourned, and Gregg seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.

The preceding is a summary and not the official minutes, which will be read, amended as necessary, and approved at the next regular meeting.

Gregg Hartley

Board Secretary